I am now well into studying for Step 1, the first exam of the medical licensing process in the US, and here are several thoughts I have about it:
1) It’s a crime that I have to be studying inside all day when the weather is this gorgeous and summer-y.
2) I am amazed by the amount of information that I have remembered…. and by the amount that I have forgotten. =/
3) I am actually enjoying what I’m studying, since I’m going at my own pace. Medicine is so interesting to the scientist I am at heart, but we don’t really have time to enjoy it while we’re in classes. We’re always rushed into the next thing, expected to have learned all of the nuances of the subject instantaneously.
4) I cannot wait for this exam to be over so I can move on with my life…. and more importantly, enjoy our girl’s first birthday and a short vacation to the mountains and away from the books.
5) After this, they’re actually going to let me loose in the hospitals?!?!
6) I am so excited for the clinical years of my education that I can barely stand it. I start out in Internal Medicine in early July.
While studying has taken up most of my life in recent weeks, we have had some fun. My brother graduated from college last weekend (which makes me feel really, really old), and we got to be in attendance. Today is his party. On occasion I get to take a break to eat dinner with friends, family, and of course, David. Ladybug chose the weeks during my dedicated study time to learn to say “hi!”, “dada”, and “uh-oh!”, get a third (and almost a fourth) tooth, finally decided she wanted to use her sippy cup (as demonstrated by stealing everyone else’s at daycare), finally decided she wanted to have snacks that she refused at home (as demonstrated by…. stealing everyone else’s at daycare….)…. and she is oh-so-close to walking by herself. She’s 11 months old today and I have no idea where the time went.
Now that the little one is down for a nap, I think I will take a shower and start today’s studying. Happy weekend! =)